Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pillow Cover

 So, when I was really young I can remember making pillow cases with my paternal grandmother.  
 
(My sister, grandmother and me)
She had so much fabric in the room, I don't think I ever could have really appreciated it until now.  I've always had the desire to sew again, just haven't had the time or materials.  Well that has all changed!  My husband's grandmother gave us one, of her many, sewing machines that she was no longer using.
With that being said, I never really liked two of the pillows that came with our couch, so today I was determined to make covers for them!  

I went to the store and found the fabric and buttons I wanted and got started right away.  I bought two yards of fabric which was too much, but I wanted to be prepared since this was my first attempt on my own.  **Disclaimer:  I did do some research online for the amount of fabric I would need.  I also had to call my mother-in-law one time for sewing machine issues.  (Winding the bobbin...attempting to wind the bobbin...took several tries and wasted a lot of thread.  In fact, the original color I was going to use never took.  Luckily I had purple too and I finally got it!)


Anyways...here we go!  My pillows are 20"x20" and here are the steps I took:


1. Cut fabric into a 21"x21" piece (to be the back of the pillow), a 21"x20" piece and a 21"x9" piece (to make the front with buttons).
2.  Take the two pieces that will be the front and fold over approx 1.5 inches of the sides that will button together.  Fold another 1.5 inches and iron that fold of each fabric in towards the wrong side.
3.  Sew a stitch along the newly folded edge nearly 1.5 inches from edge of fabric.
4.  Button holes will be put on the fold of the larger piece of fabric and the buttons will be sewn on to the smaller piece.  The holes and buttons should be evenly spaced.  Mine were marked at 5", 10.5" and 16".  Since I couldn't find the buttonhole foot for my sewing machine, I decided to cut the hole and then clean the edges of the holes up with stitching.
5.  My buttonholes were 1" long each for the button to be able to pass through.
6.  Create the button holes and using a needle and thread, sew on the buttons.  Button together.

7.  Place the front and back pieces of fabric together with the wrong side facing out and pin together. 
8.  Sew each side, leaving a 1/2 inch seam allowance.

9.  Once three sides were done, I unbuttoned the buttons so that I wouldn't have to try to do it inside out.
10.  Sew the final side together and then cut off the corners.

11.  Turn inside out, pushing the corners out to a point.

12.  Stuff pillow inside, fasten the buttons and enjoy your new pillow!

I think it looks great!  Much better than the old one!

For my first independent sewing experience I think it went pretty well.  It took several hours to complete but I think it was worth it.  I can only hope to get better each time.  (I only did one pillow so far since it took so long.  I'll cover the second striped pillow this weekend hopefully.)  I look forward to sewing being more of a hobby in the future!
Photobucket

P.S. I entered my pillow in the Blogger's Pillow Party!

Blogger's Pillow Party

1 comment:

  1. Yeah for your first independent sewing project. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...