Saturday, June 4, 2011

Cork Ball Decoration

After my last cork project, PJ left a comment telling me what she did with her corks.  It was so cool that I had to try it, especially since we still had so many corks left!  To give credit where credit is due, check out PJ's original post here.

We purchased four styrofoam balls (two that were 4", one 8" and one 10").  We painted them a shade of brown so that the white was not seen in between the corks.  I hung them to dry overnight.




Next, I hot glued the corks on one by one... This took HOURS to do all four balls.  I would not recommend starting this project unless you don't mind delayed gratification!  I finished them within two days, thankfully a Jurassic Park marathon was on to help pass the time the second day!


I glued a line of corks around the center and then filled in one half.  Then I flipped it over and filled in the other half row by row.  Occasionally the bottom of a cork had to be trimmed down some to fit into a tighter space.

Here they are finished!




We put the largest one and one of the small ones up by the wine crates we had from out wedding.  We put the other two above the cabinets in the kitchen.




Thanks PJ for sharing this project!  Even though it was really time consuming, I think it was definitely worth it. These turned out really cool!

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Wow! No one has ever copied one of my ideas before and you've made me feel like a SUPERSTAR! Yours turned out awesome. I watched TV while making mine too, I think it was just Sunday Animation Domination

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather I have linked to this post on my blog today :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these. I saw your link on PJ's blog. I hope you don't mind if I came over to look!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of the coolest things I've seen done with corks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Heather! I'm the Editorial Community Manager for FaveCrafts.com and I just came across this project--I love it! I was wondering if you'd be interested in letting us publish it on our site? You can email me for more information. I look forward to hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome work...keep up your good work.

    http://www.embelton.com/products/bamboo-flooring/

    ReplyDelete
  7. How many corks did you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow...I'm not sure...100 as a rough estimate for the medium one?! Sorry, I didn't count. We had a TON of corks and came no where close to using them all on this project.

      Delete
  8. Love the reuse for cork. It would be nice to find a substitute for the styrofoam ball, as styrofoam will sit in a landfill well into the next millenium.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ​yeah, that´s great, thank you very much for those ideas!
    If you want to buy some corks: www.kork-deko.de (it´s a german cork-seller with international shipping!).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there! Love this idea and want to use it as a ceremony chair decor for our wedding in June. Could you tell me how you hung them to dry - I would like to use yellow ribbon, and this might be a dumb question - but not sure how to attach the ribbon to the ball. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! After we painted them we stuck a metal skewer in each one and tied twine through the loop at the end of the skewer just to hang them while the paint dried. I did not intend on hanging any of them after the corks were on them so I never tried. They are 'heavy' once the corks are all on there (compared to the ball by itself). I guess I would try attaching a ribbon with super glue by pinching a 'loop' with the ribbon and then gluing the rest of the ribbon around the entire circumference of the ball. That way the ribbon (except the loop) could be covered with corks and hopefully would be unable to pull off. Hope this helps! Good luck!

      Delete
  11. Hi Heather, I cannot find your mail address - sorry. So I choose this way: I mentioned your DIY on http://kreativliste.de/basteln-mit-korken-diy/ - please let me know if this is just for you ok, e.g. by comment the article. Otherwise I will remove it. Thanks & greetings, Adriane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Adriane! No, I do not mind that you linked back to me. Thanks for asking!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...